Project Hero Blog - Weekly Best Practices and Tips
Project Management for Aspiring, New, and Accidental PMs
Search with The Project Management Search Engine by PMConnection. Search across only the Great Websites listed at PMConnection. See the list here.
Studies have shown that roughly 20% of projects fail due to poor communications. Whether you are discussing risk management or just having a meeting, having strong communication skills is critical for project managers. Here are 5 tips for improving those skills:
- Know your audience. Do a thorough stakeholder analysis to understand communications needs and preferences.
- Develop a formal...
As we've learned from projects like healthcare.gov, Agile isn't always the best method to follow for software development. If we look at its strengths and weaknesses, Agile is not especially well-suited in its pure form for projects with fixed deadlines and fixed scope. It also exhibits limitations in complex projects which require strong integration testing. So there are other...
The primary goal of risk management is to navigate the uncertainty found in any initiative. As the development of the risk management process begins, here are four more general principles to keep in mind to guide decision-making:
- Timebox risk assessments. Because all uncertainty is not identifiable and the process needs to be scalable to the size of the initiative, allocate some fixed time.
The primary goal of risk management is to navigate the uncertainty found in any initiative. As the development of the risk management process begins, here are four general principles to keep in mind to guide decision-making:
- The organization and initiative stakeholders have attitudes toward risk. These attitudes will affect thinking throughout the process and need to be determined in advance. ...
Another tip from my new book, Risk Assessment Framework: Successfully Navigating Uncertainty, with publication planned for November. Watch for more details in October.
Following a robust and appropriately scaled risk management process provides important project benefits, including:
- Positive risks (opportunities) can have positive outcomes: for example, shortened schedules or effective...
If project management feels like it's herding cats, you are probably doing something wrong. Here are 5 steps to avoid the cats:
- Be sure you develop a definition of success and a clear vision with the project sponsor.
- Be sure there are clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Do enough planning, so there is a clear plan for the team to follow.
- Follow the appropriate project and...
How much risk management and risk management planning is enough? There is no immediate answer to this question; however, a good starting point is to consider the following objectives and constraints:
- Costs and time of implementing risk management are proportionate to the costs and time of the projects -less than 10% is a...
1) Be sure there is a project...
"Work smarter, not harder" sometimes seems unachievable for the project manager. Here are 5 tips toward achieving it:
- You do not need to do all the project work too. Delegate effectively, then trust the team member to get it done.
- Define clear roles and responsibilities. This will avoid questions and issues later in the project and help contain team-generated scope creep.
- Focus on the most...
Need expert help finding the right Project Management Software?
We’ve partnered with the software comparison portal Crozdesk.com to help you find the right solution. Crozdesk’s Project Management Software advisors can give you independent advice and shortlist software products that best fit your specific needs. Our partnership gives you free access to their tailored software selection advice and community negotiated discounts, taking the hassle out of the research process.
It takes just a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a call at no cost or commitment. You’ll get custom product shortlists covering the top solutions that best fit your specific needs from their team of software experts (via phone or email) and they can even connect you to your choice of the selected vendors. To get started, please submit the form below: