Project managers are often most remembered for their ultimate delivery of the project, rather than any events or activities leading up to it. Here are five tips for outstanding delivery:
- Start early - plan for all project turnover and termination activities in advance. Be sure they are included in the schedule so the client will receive a fully tested project.
- Assure clients of a "white glove in turnover so everyone, including the team, will feel good about themselves and the project.
- The client turnover meeting is an opportunity for a demonstration. Ask for feedback, and if any additional acceptance tests are required. Provide all documentation, including training and support.
- If mistakes are found, admit to them, then promptly work on a resolution.
- Conduct a fair and balanced project evaluation. Make sure the promised benefits are realized. If necessary, develop solution refinements or new solutions.
Want to learn more about how to integrate these practices into a project methodology? Check out our Micro Guide to the PROJECT Methodology.
Subscribe for Our Project Management Resources, Best Practices, and Tips
Confirm your subscription to receive an email with immediate download access to Project Manager's Resources, a valuable list of books and web sites.
Get the latest tips and updates sent directly to your inbox monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.