As a leader, you will need to manage by influence and motivate the team without full authority. Here are five tips to effectively motivate your teams:
- Be a good role model. Set the example you want the team to follow.
- Set smaller, shorter period goals. While having bigger goals is good, to drive day-to-day performance, set smaller, easier to reach goals over short periods such as days, weeks, or a month.
- Acknowledgment. Ranging from a "thank you" to a team outing to a quarterly performance award, acknowledge the achieved goals.
- Share power. Let team members lead various tasks and goals. It will let them know they are valued and prepare them for future
- Get to know each member better. Develop relationships which will help later when it comes time to determine task assignments and rewards. It will also help each team member feel more valued.
How do you motivate your teams? Share a tip!
Want to learn more about how to integrate these practices into a project methodology? Check out our Micro Guide to the PROJECT Methodology.
Subscribe for Our Project Management Resources, Best Practices, and Tips
Confirm your subscription to receive an email with immediate download access to Project Manager's Resources, a valuable list of books and web sites.
Get the latest tips and updates sent directly to your inbox monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.