Studies have shown that roughly 20% of projects fail due to poor communications. Whether you are discussing risk management or just having a meeting, having strong communication skills is critical for project managers. Here are 5 tips for improving those skills:
- Know your audience. Do a thorough stakeholder analysis to understand communications needs and preferences.
- Develop a formal communications plan. What messages will you send? To whom? When? By what means?
- Involve people. People help make or break projects. Involving the right people in the right activities will make sure they buy into plans and support project goals.
- Plan appropriate meetings. Make them GREAT - Guided, Right People, Effective, Agenda, Time-Bound.
- Become an active listener. Get in GEAR - Give responses, Eye contact, Ask, Restate and Reframe
Subscribe for Our Project Management Resources, Best Practices, and Tips
Confirm your subscription to receive an email with immediate download access to Project Manager's Resources, a valuable list of books and web sites.
Get the latest tips and updates sent directly to your inbox monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.