Stress, burnout, and physical exhaustion impact project managers at one time or another. You need to believe that you can get a handle on what stresses you, and diffuse this stress in ways that maintain your physical and emotional health. Pressure may be a part of life, but it is essential to find ways to de-stress and not let it get the best of you.
Stress comes from our habits or our thoughts and feelings about how things are going. We can monitor these to reduce stress. If you want to reduce or avoid stress, then be sure to apply these seven stress management techniques.
- Be organized. No matter how much you plan, if plans, lists, or the information needed is not sufficiently arranged to be easily found, it can be stressful.
- Make a list of goals and objectives, and then decide which are the most urgent things to do. Work on those items first and then go to your less important items.
- Allow for interruption and change. If your day has so little slack that you cannot find the time to talk for 15 minutes with an unexpected caller, you may find yourself highly stressed. Recognize that there will be some interruptions, and you can handle them.
- Have realistic expectations of yourself and others. No one is super – no one is perfect. You cannot get three days of work done in one day. Don't procrastinate, and put stress on yourself with vast amounts of work.
- Take some breaks every day. It allows your mind to rest while you do something enjoyable, not something you have to do. Check out the Pomodoro Technique – it's a great way to make sure you get a break.
- Find some time each day to exercise. Exercise helps to burn off more stress.
- Take some time to relax at the end of the day. Find hobbies that you enjoy that reduce your stress.
Subscribe for Our Project Management Resources, Best Practices, and Tips
Confirm your subscription to receive an email with immediate download access to Project Manager's Resources, a valuable list of books and web sites.
Get the latest tips and updates sent directly to your inbox monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.