Problem-solving is a skill needed for all project phases and knowledge areas. Here are seven steps to take to improve your problem solving:
- Understand the problem. Remember, Einstein recommended 55 minutes to understand an hour-to-solve problem.
- Identify 3-5 of the best alternatives. These should solve the problem most efficiently, completely, ethically, and with the least cost.
- Select a solution, get buy-in. The stakeholders of the problem should agree with the solution and means of implementation.
- Implement the solution. Follow the plan you laid out and stakeholders bought into.
- Monitor the implementation. Inform stakeholders of any deviations from the plan.
- Confirm the solution. Be sure the problem was completely solved as advertised. Go back to step 1 if it was not.
- Hold a lessons learned meeting. Commit to better processes and solutions for next time.
Subscribe for Our Project Management Resources, Best Practices, and Tips
Confirm your subscription to receive an email with immediate download access to Project Manager's Resources, a valuable list of books and web sites.
Get the latest tips and updates sent directly to your inbox monthly.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.